Do you ever work in a folder which has long path ? For example, a week ago I'd installing Apache Web Server in my Windows XP and it installed at C:\Program Files\Apache Software Fondation\Apache2.2 folder. And when I want to change its configuration file or my website files, I always digg inside to Apache folder and I think that's not efficient until I found a old tool that can help me to make my job be easier.

The tool is subst command, this tool has function to substitution a folder path be a drive letter. For example my C:\Program Files\Apache Software Fondation\Apache2.2 folder path can substitution be T: drive (or others unused drive letter). So, if it has change to a virtual drive, I just have to type T: to enter my Apache folder, and sure, you can change Apache folder with yours.
OK, to execute it, open your command prompt console first, to open it, click Start - Run menu; type cmd in textbox then hit Enter key. At your console prompt type : subst (your chosen drive letter) (your long long path), for example : subst t: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Fondation\Apache2.2 then press Enter key to execute it. If you difficult to type your folder path, just press initial folder name then press Tab key until your folder displayed and so on for sub folder. For example type subst t: c:\Pr(press Tab here until Program Files name displayed); then type \ and then type Ap (press Tab here until Apache Software Fondation name is displayed) and so on, you can read the detail about power of tab key article here ....
After you've execute the subst command, then open your My Computer to browse for new virtual drive. Now, your folder has represents by a drive letter.

0 comments